Blog Archive

Welcome Out, Zachary Quinto!


Welcome out, Zachary Quinto! As I was trolling through Twitter updates last night, I came across the delightful news that another well-respected member of Hollywood has joined the ranks of the out and proud. Sci fi nerds will recognize Mr. Quinto as the superhuman (and highly disturbed) Sylar from the television series Heroes and as Spock from the rebooted Star Trek movie franchise. And now, fellow queers can rejoice over the news that yet another public figure has shaken off the confines of the (career) closet.

I think what marks Quinto's official coming out as a remarkable one (aside from the thunderous cheers emanating from all the thrilled gents out there) was the utter class behind Quinto's words and the low-key approach behind Benjamin Wallace's article written for New York Magazine (which I encourage readers to check out). The temptation to twist Quinto's words into another sensationalist, superficial headline would have been an overwhelming lure for any journalist, but Wallace upheld his professionalism and, most importantly, allowed Quinto to speak for himself. I know that the media-at-large took this morning as an opportunity to trot out the typical "YES, I'M GAY!" headlines, but I think we should be celebrating the original article for its tact and its respect for the gent in question.

I leave you with Zachary Quinto's video for the It Gets Better project and The Trevor Project, uploaded on October 6th, 2010. So, cheers to you, sir, and cheers to how far you've come!