Blog Archive

Rent The Runway


I told y'all I would tell you about my Rent the Runway experience, sorry it's taken me so long to get around to it!

At first I was skeptical of the idea and worried that the experience could go wrong in so many ways but I decided what the heck? I'll never know until I try.

The website is really easy to navigate. You can search by designer, size, date of availability, body type, type of occasion, and price. Naturally I was drawn to Lilly. I originally wanted the Citrus Candy Cane dress but it wasn't available so I decided on the Blossom dress.

To rent the dress for 4 days it was only $40. There are some hidden fees though, so the total was $58. This includes $5 insurance in case you break a zipper, lose some beads, spill wine on the dress, etc. Shipping was $12.95. At first I thought this was steep, but you have to remember you're paying for shipping both ways. You also get to choose a second size in the same dress to ensure the right fit for free. If you need additional dresses for something different in the same shipment, those are only $25. This would be fabulous if you were going to, let's say a wedding weekend in Charleston and needed a day dress for shopping, formal dress for the wedding, and cocktail dress for the rehersal dinner, for example. And if you want, ship it to your hotel instead!

My event was on Saturday but I wanted to make sure I received it and had enough time to find a replacement if I needed it. I decided to have it delivered on Thursday just to be safe. I got an email Tuesday with a tracking number saying my dress had been mailed and sure enough it arrived on my doorstep when I wanted.

When I opened my box this is what was inside. Your dress comes in a garment bag you get to keep and there is a prepaid envelope to return your dress. I was worried the dress would be worn or in bad shape but to my surprise it still had the tags on it! Also, the company always dry cleans and inspects the dress before it is sent. If it isn't up to par, they won't rent it.

I was really pleased with my experience and will definitely use them in the future as the price is reasonable and the service was great. My only regret is I wish I knew about it sooner! Especially being in a sorority, the amount of dresses I just wear once is a bit ridiculous. This is a great way to still wear beautiful, fashionable dresses you love but save money for the things that you really use long term.

If you would like to join rent the runway, click here for a referral. You can sign up on your own but I think you get a discount the first time you rent if you are referred by a member.

Have a blessed day, y'all!!