Blog Archive

2010 in Books

Right, so -- I'm still in the throes of reviewing 2010. Like a tough cold, I cannot shake it. But, this list is of the fun and bookish variety. And, since I am still in the plotting stages for a new, book-oriented blog (wheeeeee!!), I will leave these meanderings to this space.

And heck, a recommendation for a new read is top notch in my books.

I snagged this one from The Cousin's blog -- she is one of the most voracious readers I know, so I knew this survey would be a solid one.

** Note: The survey is based on books I read in 2010, not necessarily books that were published in 2010.

Check it:

1. Best Book of 2010: I'll represent for the hard science fans out there and support The Stories of Ibis by Hiroshi Yamamoto. The novel deals with some weighted philosophical issues, and manages to maintain a pro-AI stance throughout it. Impressive, and go read it now.

2. Worst Book of 2010: I will opt for Michael Winter's The Death of Donna Whalen for this honour. I question whether I can even call this fiction, even after its nomination for the Rogers' Writer's Trust Award. Winter took real court testimonies and witness accounts from a murder trial in Newfoundland.... and all he did was shift the writing perspective from first-person to third-person. How can he put his name on that and claim it as his work? Lame to the power of infinity.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010: I was disappointed with The Children of Men by P.D. James. I made the mistake of seeing the film first, so I thought, "YEAH -- dystopian thriller where the end of humanity comes at a crawl due to (in)fertility issues? Whoa, HIGH ACTION, WHOA!!" Nope. Not in the novel. In fact, the only readers who might like this book have been to Oxford/live in Oxford/are obsessed with Oxford.

4. Most Surprising Book (in a good way!) in 2010: I was taken with Yoshihiro Tatsumi's manga-autobiographical work, A Drifting Life. I read a number of online reviews levying horrid judgments on me for not having read this book, even though I claimed to be a manga lover. I cried and begged for forgiveness as I raided the library for their copy. And WOW -- tour-de-force. I now pass the shame to you for not reading it.

5. Book You Recommended to People Most in 2010: Remainder by Tom McCarthy. Go read it, or I'm not your friend anymore. Ha, in all seriousness, I recommended this book to anyone who talked literature with me since September 2010.

6. Best Series Discovered in 2010: Hmm, I stumbled across a number of series in 2010. Most are shoujo manga titles, and I will spare you the details. I read The Walking Dead series by Robert Kirkman (up to Book 10), and quite enjoyed it. I also found out there are a series of books based on Torchwood, and, umm.... ItotallyboughtthreecopiesandIplantobuymore.....

7. Favorite New Authors of 2010: I have a few new favourites who launched their careers in the 2009/2010 split, and I am excited to see how their work develops in the future. Mad props for Lauren Kirshner (Where We Have To Go), Sarah Selecky (This Cake is For The Party), and Dexter Palmer (The Dream of Perpetual Motion).

8. Most Hilarious Read of 2010: Ah, apologies -- I have no laugh-out-loud titles. I was reading Can Lit most of the time. We are a deeply troubled people in our literature.

9. Most Thrilling Unputdownable Book of 2010: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, no doubt. This book thrilled (read: terrified) the brass out of me for a solid week after I read it -- as in, I slept with the lights on for two nights, I was that scared of this novel. Despite that, I recommend folks check it out. This title was a recommendation from Ship Sharp, and DAMN -- brilliant.

10. Book You Anticipated the Most for 2010: Ha, I am still anticipating it, actually. I put a hold on Emma Donoghue's latest book, Room, back in... September? October? 20-some-odd people have dibs on it before I do, still. Paf.

11. Favorite Cover of a Book You read in 2010: I have four that jumped out at me:













Hmm, so, I like covers that are:

A) Mostly white or mostly black.
B) Blurry.
C) Spacey.




12. Most Memorable Character in 2010: I'll have to opt for the unnamed Narrator of McCarthy's Remainder. His voice is captivating, and he is entirely unreliable as a narrator (just how I like 'em).

13. Most Beautifully Written Book in 2010: I found myself drooling over most of Dexter Palmer's prose in The Dream of Perpetual Motion. I have the urge to re-read it at a slower pace so I can absorb his linguistic charm for my own work.

14. Book that had the Greatest Impact on You in 2010: Well, physically, Danielewski's House of Leaves had the most noticeable impact as it prevented me from sleeping like a normal person. Umm.... I don't know that I was moved on an intangible level, though. I mean, moved long enough to select a specific novel for this category.

15. Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2010 to Finally Read: Ray Bradbury's From the Dust Returned. I've had it on my shelf since the book was published in 2001. I am a fool, and Ray Bradbury should kick my ass for it.


... And, since this is a queer blog, I vote Malinda Lo's Ash as the Best Queer Read of 2010. Oh-so-sweet re-telling of Cinderella, except our lead finds herself attracted to the King's Huntress instead of the Prince. Ah, the thirteen-year-old version of me would have been all up on's.

So, please do feel free to give this survey a whirl. I love discovering what others have read, and I wouldn't mind a recommendation or two.